Turtle Watching

Have you ever wanted to be in the presence of prehistoric animals? Then don't miss out on this opportunity to be arm's length away from the ancient nesting ritual of the majestic leatherback sea turtles.


Our shores have become two of the world's most important nesting grounds for the leatherback turtles. Leatherbacks are the largest turtles on earth and can reach up to eight feet long and weigh more than 2,000 pounds. 

In my opinion, leatherback turtle-watching is one of Trinidad's most incredible experiences and something every Trinidadian should get to see; truly, those who have observed it in person describe it as emotional and moving. If you visit the right place at the right time, this can be your experience too.

Both Grand Riviere and Matura are well-known beaches in Northeast Trinidad where turtles frequent. These beaches are restricted to the general public to assist with the elimination and reduction in poaching; permits are required to visit during the nesting season, which starts from 1st March till 31st August each year.

Nonetheless, my experience was undeniably amazing. To have been able to witness a rare giant turtle emerge from the ocean under a full moon with the moonlight gleaming off its black leathery shell was truly a sight to behold! My friends and I stood in absolute wonder as this majestic creature slowly pulls itself up the beach's crest; not doubt getting used to manoeuvring its 2000 pound frame on dry land. It surely looked exhausting in my eyes.


We watched as she approaches, oblivious to our presence. It wasn't long before she began to dig, deeper and deeper, till a massive hole had emerged for laying her eggs (a 2-hour process). 


I felt so lucky to be able to have the opportunity to witness creation occurring before my eyes. Often you will see more than one turtle and if you are lucky the chance to see baby turtles hatching and quickly running towards the sea.


After detailing my encounter with these creatures of the sea, I'm sure you are intrigued to take an awe-inspiring trip to one of these beaches.

To schedule a guide, please visit natureseekers.org



Comments

  1. Yes every Trinidadian should experience this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea Salina, they should! I really had an amazing time. I hope others have the same experience

      Delete
  2. My friends and I have experienced this a couple of times. It is a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to Matura since I was a child. We're in turtle watching season now and I will make a trip there next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ryan, I hope you do because the season is coming to an end, so schedule your guide as early as possible.

      Delete
  4. For some reason this cycle of life means so much. The struggle, hard work and labour represents a mother's love. I would like to see it someday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that was deep. But so true actually! And it's amazing that Trinidad is one of the few places in the world where they choose to lay their eggs. Extraordinary!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cabin at the Pines

ATV Recreation Park

Bamboo Cathedral